Monday, March 7, 2011

Thinkin'

Lately I've been thinkin'.  I've been thinkin' about a lot of things.

I often find myself thinking about the things I know and the things I wish I knew.  I know where I'm going, that is for sure.  I have known where I want to go for some time now and believe you me I am hellbent on getting there, or at the very least giving it my best try.
I want more than anything to be an animator, my heart is set on it.  Over the last couple months my experience with stop-motion and the reactions and encouragement I have been able to glean from those around me as a result of my work have been invaluable.  Being able to physically test out some of the things I believed to understand about movement and timing has been a great help to furthering my knowledge. But I can't help but feel that this trial and error way of learning is too informal.  Should I read more online tutorials about the technical things I don't fully comprehend?  Can I simply supplement this lack of formal learning with how-to books and more practice on my own?  Would that- could that really be enough?  I'm just not sure.

In the end I think that patience is my constant answer.  I must remember to have patience.  I will keep working away until I get where I'm headed, and quite frankly I feel lucky to have that much.  Because honestly, what is the point in getting there if you don't know where you're going?




My apologies for this dumb post.  Only getting 4+ hours of sleep is not a great way to start the week.  Midterms week no less... yuck.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sydni,

    I think it's a mixture of passion, practice and technical skills that will get you to what you want. You should for sure hit the books about animation, especially 2d if you want to learn about performance and timing. It never hurts to research and learn as much as you can about it. I think you already have the passion part down, and reading up on animation should be fun for you, since you seem to be set on becoming an animator! :) just stay true to what you love and who you are as an artist, and keep on practicing..hope this helps at least a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Chenny!

    I also think that passion and perseverance, as well as lots of practice are the key ingredients to success here. Well, with anything really. I'll definitely start immersing myself more in technical readings about animation (I am particularly interested in 2d) to help myself along with the things I have more trouble with. I think that the best thing I can do is to keep on learning all I can and try not to let myself get too discouraged along the way!

    Thank you so much for the kind words and advice, I really appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Sydni. This is Eusong Lee...I simply found you among followers of my blog (thank you very much) and just ended up writing this comments.

    It's great that you have things in your mind to go forward. even some people in animation school still did not figure out what they really love to do. and It's great that you seems to love the actual act of animating. It's nothing like I am very good at animating...I do animate but I guess i am leaning more towards Visual Development and Story and all...but I guess for you, I recommend you to just draw lots and lots of gesture drawings and get a good sense of movements. timing and techniques and stuff are very important but if you don't have the good sense of movement that you want from the animating, then it means you don't know where to use that techniques. knowing where to use techniques are more important than just knowing techniques, i think. lol and those things are not something you can learn from school, it's just pure efforts in studies and researches. get inspired as much as possible, from anything!!!. and once you get your basics, you know....start make your own stuff...like making a short film, i think i read that you've made your stuff before. but keep on doing that. visualize as much as possible in your mind, and try your best to express it on your paper. then, most of time, you see something better that what you actually imagine. good luck. and also, I'd like to share your post on my forum blog, if you don't mind. if you allow me, i will let you know where i post and all, you may have some better comments from people.

    good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Eusong!

    You are so welcome, I am happy to follow your blog. I love seeing the art you produce and the huge amount of consideration you put into the colors you choose. Lovely lovely work.
    Thank you so much for sharing your advice and your opinions with me. It really does offer me some peace of mind to hear from actual students just what they think about the whole process of learning to animate. It really inspires me and keeps me motivated! I hope to be able to share with all of you some of the short projects I've done in school and maybe see what people have to say about them. I guess the one of the other things I feel that I lack the most in school is a peer group that I can turn to that share similar goals with me. So please, if you ever feel like dropping a comment never hesitate!

    Please go right ahead and share whatever you'd like from my blog! I am all kinds of flattered by it. Let me know if it helps at all!

    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete